Common Questions

Does the other person involved in my pregnancy have a say about whether I choose to have an abortion?
No. The pregnant person is the only one who has the ultimate right to decide. There is no requirement that you get the man’s consent or that you notify him.
Do I have to be from Illinois to get a bypass?
No. Any person under 18 can get a judicial bypass in Illinois. You don’t have to live in the state or be from Illinois.
If I get a judicial bypass order in Illinois can I use it to get an abortion in a clinic in another state?
No. Waivers that come from an Illinois court can only be used in Illinois clinics. Similarly, if you got a waiver in another state, you cannot use it in Illinois clinics.
What if my guardian isn’t my “official guardian” but I live with them – can I give notice to them?
No. Unfortunately you can only give notice to your official guardian. You can choose to go through the judicial bypass process in order to have the notification waived. Your lawyer would be able to give you the best advice on how to handle this situation.
Can I change my mind after I get the bypass?
Yes. You always have the right to change your mind and carry your pregnancy to term. While it is important for you to think about the decision before you initiate the bypass process, you don’t have to have an abortion just because the judge gives you an order waiving the parental notification requirement.
What do I wear to court?
Wear something comfortable but remember you want to show yourself in the best light possible. If you have questions about what to wear, talk with your lawyer!
What happens if my hearing is scheduled during a school day?
You will need to talk to your lawyer about how best to make sure you can attend a hearing scheduled during the school day.
How do I know if the clinic I’m going to offers abortions?
It’s always a good idea to check the clinic’s website and to call ahead and ask. You can also get clinic referrals from the organizations listed next to “Medical” in the Support section on the Abortion page of this website.
Do I have to be a US citizen to have an abortion?
You don’t have to be a citizen of the United States to get an abortion and U.S. immigration authorities will not be contacted. If you’re undocumented and don’t have a government ID, you will need to make sure to have something that proves who you are.
Will I still be able to get a bypass if I don’t speak English?
Yes. Translators are available.
If I already have a child, does my adult family member still need to get notice before I get my abortion?
Yes, unless you fall under one of the exceptions to notice listed here.
What pregnancy related services can I have without giving my parents notice?
You can get a pregnancy test, options counseling, STI testing and prenatal care without notifying your parents. In fact, you can consent to any medical care when you are pregnant, and do not need to notify your parents; the notification requirement only applies to abortion.